As of today, 120 million students and educators all around the world are using Google’s “G Suite for Education” to create, collaborate, and communicate despite school closures during this COVID pandemic crisis. Recently Google made their virtual meeting and collaboration platform “Google Meet” to work even better for schools and colleges by improving safety and security features considering the needs of schools and colleges.
Google Meet + Classroom for Schools and Colleges
For decades schools and colleges have used traditional and complex learning management systems(LMS) to manage online class content. With the recent digital transformation trends, more educational institutions have started implementing advanced LMS and video conferencing tools. Along with startups, technology giants like Microsoft and Google also started promoting their digital teaching and learning tools. Google recently integrated Google Classroom with Google Meet so that teachers and students find it easy to access and join the meeting directly from their online classroom.
The COVID pandemic impact exponentially increased the interest and demand in online classroom and video conference tools. Google Classroom integrated with Google Meet was the default choice for many educators in schools and colleges. And above all, educators liked the fact that Google Meet is a free tool. Anyone with a Google Account can create a video meeting, invite participants, and meet for up to 60 minutes per meeting for free.
Advantages of Google Meet for Schools and College
Google Meet contains features to simplify the video conferencing needs of schools and colleges. The features include scheduling and recording of meetings, screen share to share desktop and presentations, ability to conduct large meetings with up to 250 participants, and Livestream of events where you can allow up to 100,000 viewers to watch the live broadcast of the event.
Even though Google Meet is primarily used by businesses, it carries many advantages for users from schools and colleges. The teachers, students, and parents involved in the school and college operations think and behave differently from the professionals who use Google Meet for business-related conferences. The advantages for schools and colleges include:
- The simplicity of Google user experience for teachers and parents
All the teachers and parents have some basic experience in using Google tools and they like the simplicity of Google interface when compared to other advanced video conferencing and online classroom tools.
- Meet with everyone with a Google ID
Compared to other platforms, Google Meet doesn’t require you to create a different username and password. Anyone with a Google/Gmail id can start using the platform. This makes it easy for users to join a Google Meet.
Google Meet is optimized for speed and quality by the Google engineering standards. The video and audio are of high quality even on low bandwidth.
- Security, Safety & Privacy
Google Meet is built by following the best security, safety, and privacy standards. As schools and colleges are more concerned with the privacy and safety of their data, Google Meet is one tool in the market that you can trust to use for online classrooms and video conferences.
The safety features of Google Meet App for Online Classes
Safety by Technology
- Encryption – Encryption is used to prevent unauthorized access to communications happening over the internet. There are different encryption standards and technologies available to prevent unauthorized third parties from stealing your data. All data in Meet is encrypted in transit by default between the client and Google for video meetings on a web browser, on the Android and iOS apps, and in meeting rooms with Google meeting room hardware.
- Cloud Servers of Google – Google Meet is powered by the latest cloud technology standards and this helps the institutions to collaborate with the parents and students safely because whichever location or device the users are accessing the platform, one can trust the Google technology to safeguard their data. The benefits of Google’s defense-in-depth approach are available to the schools and colleges also while using Google Meet and Google Classrooms. The defense-in-depth approach includes purpose-built infrastructure, Google-controlled hardware stack, private and encrypted global network, layered data center security, internal privacy and security expertise, and robust security auditing/certification program. Read more on Google’s security here.
Safety by Standards
- Data privacy standards – Google not only follows data privacy standards but also actively push for more and improved data privacy measures. Also G Suite for Education, which includes Meet, does not use customer data for advertising. Google Cloud does not sell customer data to third parties. Meet does not have user attention-tracking features or software. Read more about Meet security and privacy for education
Safety by Best Practices
- Counter-abuse measures – Google Meet also follows the best counter-abuse measures. This includes approval required for external participants to join the meeting. Also Google Meet has Improved meeting moderation controls and protection against reusing finished meetings.
Fedena Google Meet integration
Fedena is now integrated with Google Meet so that the teaching and learning practices can be continued without interrupting the administrative features available in Fedena. Once you have enabled Google SSO to your Fedena instance, added Google Calendar API to your Gsuite account, and enabled the GMEET plugin, your Fedena instance is ready to create virtual meetings using Google Meet. You can access the Google Meet from the collaboration menu in Fedena.
Along with Google Meet, Fedena is also integrated with other popular video conferencing tools like Zoom and Big Blue Button. Here is the blog post explaining how Fedena helps in conducting and coordinating online classes in your institution. If you liked the Google Meet features for schools and colleges and are already interested to implement Fedena in your institutions, contact us today.